About Me

My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States

Thursday, April 24, 2008

F Me Running


Heh. I've been hankering to post this picture ever since I took it lo, back in December 2006, when Merv & I found ourselves in Chelsea, NYC. We were on our way to meet some friends for dinner and I saw this sign. You New Yorkers may already know how the sales people at this fine establishment answer the phone, but I'm at a loss. Either way, my warped mind went where most of my readers' minds are going and I can't figure out how they get away with that.

But that is neither here nor there. Whatever that means. Matter of fact, I've always wanted to say that, too.

That is neither here nor there.

Damn, two things in one day. I must be livin' on borrowed time.

Nevertheless, last weekend, as I rode with Alec Roeser and lil bro Doug from RundgrenRadio (can I push this radio show any more?) from the Peachtree State (what's up with calling every street Peachtree anyways?) to South Carolina on our way to catch another Todd Rundgren concert, we began discussing the various origins of use of the word "fuck."

Whoa, don't even think about flinching. You know I've got a potty mouth - I just tamp it down at times...unfortunately this leads to a waxy build-up and eventual explosion at the most inopportune times.

Let me 'splain. A week or so ago, I had my arms full of stuff, including a newly opened can of nectar of the Gods - Diet Coke. I fumbled with the key to my door, unlocked my refuge, started to close the door and bent over to give CruiserDog a snuggle.

Yup - poor CruiserDog was then cascaded with a waterfall of Diet Coke and a barrage of the following words: "WELL FUCK ME!"

*click*
Yup, the door closed after my announcement to the world. Nice. Score another one for my neighbors who are already intrigued by the wild parties they think I throw every night.

I cleaned up CruiserDog and the floor and walls that had been sprinkled with Diet Coke and went about my business: checking the mail, feeding the dog, changing clothes - when suddenly, I whacked the bony part of my hand on the corner of the kitchen counter.

"WELL FUCK ME AGAIN!"

I snickered, thinking that if anyone was approaching my front door, they surely had backed away, not wanting to disturb me gettin' some - apparently for the second time and I'd only been home 10 minutes.
I was telling Doug about this story when he told me how his boss always says "FUCK ME RUNNING!"

Okay. Herein lies the purpose of this entry and I need your help. What does "fuck me running" actually mean?

No, seriously - who would've ever coined that phrase in the first place? It's not like you could possibly do that while jogging. Can you? Can you? We couldn't figure it out. Really, I'm perplexed. This is keeping me up at night and quite possibly causing undue stress on me.

The only thing giving me any peace is that I was finally able to use this photo on the blog. It's a good thing.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never heard that term before, huh! It sounds so ewww. And I love to say old timey sayings like its neither here nor there, too :)

Electric Bill said...

I remember it being said in school back in the late 1970's and early 80's.
I believe the phrase was around before that time, possibly 60's.
The other phrase that seemed to replace "Fuck Me Running!" was "Fuck Me To Tears!".
As far as any kind of real definition, I have no clue. Although it was generally recited after something you did wrong or was done to you in a very bad or "fucked up" way.
Example: You're driving down the road and you pull over cause theres something that feels odd about the way the car drives. You get out and walk around the car to find one of the wheels is missing! Well fuck me running! Or well fuck me to tears!
Would both be appropriate phrases to be said at such a moment! LOL.��

Anonymous said...

It’s from the movie Blow with Johnny Depp. During the part where the guy is testing the cocaine for purity. He says “fuck me running, it’s at 160!”

BigOtis said...

It's IN the movie BLOW. Bobcat Goldthwaite (sp) has the line you mentioned. But... BLOW was released in 2001. I'm 54 years old and I can remember my grandpa many times using that expression during my childhood. And since my childhood occurred during the late 60s and 70s it couldn't have originated from that particular film. It is a shame that we may never know the true origins of the phrase...

Anonymous said...

I coined that phrase back in 1976 when I was 17 years old

Anonymous said...

I found this site by doing a search for the origins of that phrase. It makes no sense and it bothers me that people frequently and invariably use that phrase who also can't explain it to me.

Anonymous said...

Fun! We useter say this a BUNCH when I was a kid/young adult in Huntsville Alabama, circa very late 70s. I've never heard anyone anywhere ELSE say it!

Anonymous said...

I heard this from older gents in the 80’s and have used frequently ever since. They were mostly hunters. So I’ve always assumed it was about how wild animals fucked. Female trying to run away while male keeps trying to stick it in while she’s running.