About Me

My photo
Dallas, Texas, United States

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The New Cars Rawk, Dood



This past weekend I was fortunate enough to see The New Cars for the third time. Though I've always loved The Cars' music, I had never seen them live back in the 80's. Dunno why. Just didn't. When Ric Ocasek declined to tour this year and it was announced that Todd Rundgren would be taking his place, I was the first to sign up. Two of my all-time faves joining together! Todd + Cars' music. Wait, make that three faves. Todd + Cars' music + Kasim Sulton to reinvigorate my over-40 hormones. Mmmmm, tasty. (For those uninitiated ones, Kas has been Todd's bass player since 1976, between gigs with Meat Loaf and others.)

I first saw TNC in Dallas in May. Then again in Chicago in June. Then I saw Kasim do a solo accoustic show in Philly in July, after TNC had to make a pit stop due to a bandmember's collarbone injury which left Kasim with time off for a few months. By the way, Kas does a fantastic solo show full of great music and tales from his storied career with Todd, Meat Loaf, Joan Jett, and too many to mention here. But can I also add that he's awesomely yummy? (I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' that's all.)

When Elliot Easton's bones were all healed, The New Cars announced they were going back on the track, er road, and I was once again, first to sign up. I convinced E to tag along and we towed our life-long friend Merv, T, L, and M along up into the Pocono Mountains to see them last Friday.

Let me just say - YOWZA. Freakin' yowza. Un. Be. Lievable. It's only been 5 months since I last saw TNC, but I forgot just how great they sound. If you live near any of their stops, be sure to see this show. You will not be disappointed. Guar-on-teed.

Meanwhile - yes the weekend was full of frolic, laughter, gallons of bourbon, quotable quotes from junior high up to the present, Philly cheesesteak sammiches, cracked pepper potato chips, and a gorgeous sunset from E's deck. Did I mention that these over-40-year-olds stayed up three nights in a row until 4:30 and beyond? Did I mention that somehow I am living to tell about it? Not bad for old chicks, huh?

Oh my golly - I actually posted a picture! Wow. The whole world is now my oyster!

Now - why are you hanging around here? Go take a walk. Go clean the fridge. Don't you need to floss? I don't care - just go!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO impressed! Pretty soon you'll be an HTML expert. Now...when are you gonna figure out how to link my blog?? I'm jealous. Sounds like y'all had fun!

CruiserMel said...

kp - we really did have a good time, but bourbon will do that to a person. It changes people, I tell ya. It changed me into a member of the papparazzi. I'm trying to figure out how I saw or heard a note, since I ended up with 74 pictures. *gulp*

Thanks for stopping by, eventhough I don't know how to link to your blog yet. *hint*

Anonymous said...

After gallons of bourbon I'm surprised you remember anything!

Everyone has their obsession and it seems you've identified yours.
Now if only fantasy and reality could find common ground. *scratches chin*.